Do you love to drink coffee? My husband, daughter and I do too! Since we drink it every day, I needed to find ways to save money on coffee. We still get the delicious coffee that we love, but we save money too!
If you’re like my family, and drink coffee every day, you know how expensive it can be! We didn’t want to give up drinking our coffee, so I found several ways to make it less expensive. No matter which kind of coffee you like to drink, I found a way to save money on it!
7 Easy Ways to Save Money on Coffee
*This post contains some affiliate links for your convenience (This means if you make a purchase after clicking a link, I will earn a small commission, but it won’t cost you a penny more)! Click here to read my full disclosure policy.
1. Use a Groupon. If you like to treat yourself to a Starbucks once in awhile, finding a Groupon is important. You can go to Groupon.com and sign up for free. Then, choose your general location and the deals you want to receive. They often have a $5 for $10 Starbucks gift card that you can purchase. That’s like getting 2 Starbucks frappuccinos for the price of 1! You can even have it added to your Starbucks account. That leads into my second way to save money on coffee.
2. Sign up for Starbucks Rewards. If you like to go to Starbucks regularly, or even once in awhile, sign up! Just go to Starbucks Rewards to join. You either need a gift card (which you can get from Groupon above) or enter a code. According to Starbucks customer service, “The two most common ways to get a Star Code are by participating in member-exclusive offers you receive by email or by purchasing specially marked Starbucks® products in grocery stores.” Be sure to sign up for their email too!
Then, every time you make a purchase, you earn stars. Once you reach a certain amount, like I just did this past week, you earn a free coffee. It’s a free coffee of your choice, so of course, I’m going to get the biggest frappuccino I can get along with all of the toppings!
In their emails, they’ll send you all of the deals that are going on, including ways to earn extra stars. Sometimes they’ll have bonus days where you can earn extra stars. They also have different drinks on sale, and sales on various days and times. Signing up is definitely worth it! It’s a great way to save money on coffee.
3. If you use a Keurig, use refillable pods. You don’t have to buy the k-cups to use in your Keurig. It’s much cheaper to use reusable pods instead. You just have to buy your own coffee (which is my next point #4) and put it in the pod. They’re really easy to fill and fit just right in the Keurig. The pods are also easy to wash. You can even buy a different colored one so each family member has their own. My husband has a red one and my daughter and I both have purple ones.
4. Buy your coffee in bulk. It’s so much cheaper to buy your coffee in bulk! We purchase ours at Costco, but I’m sure it would be the same deal in any warehouse club. If you don’t have one nearby, you can also just buy the biggest size at Walmart or other store near you. The price per unit is so much cheaper when you buy the larger size. For example, the 51 oz. Folgers Coffee at Costco is only $11.99. That’s only $0.23/ounce. If you buy a 24.2 oz. Folgers Coffee at Walmart, it’s $7.98. That’s $0.32/ounce. Almost $.010/ounce more expensive!
Also, the bulk coffee lasts awhile. My daughter brings coffee with her to school every day and drinks 2 cups a day on the weekend. So far, she’s had her bulk Folgers coffee for 3 months and she’s only 1/3 of the way through.Do you love to drink coffee? My husband, daughter and I do too! Since we drink it every day, I needed to find ways to save money on coffee. Come see how!Click To Tweet
5. Use a regular coffee pot. My dad prides himself on how much money he saves by making his coffee in his coffee pot! He makes his coffee for less than a penny a cup! He buys his coffee in bulk at Costco, either the Kirkland brand or Hills Bros. Whichever of those 2 brands is on sale, he’ll buy. They sell for $8.99 for a 3 pound can of coffee.
My dad loves numbers, so he loves to calculate things. He found out that he gets 1,012 cups of coffee from that 3 pound can of coffee! That comes out to only $0.0088833 per cup. That is less than a penny a cup! So, how does he do it?
Well, he only uses 5 teaspoons of coffee for a 12 cup pot. In order to get the maximum amount of flavor, he lets the coffee fully finish dripping before he gets any from the pot. Now, he does say that the coffee isn’t as strong, but he doesn’t like super strong coffee anyway.
However, if you do like your coffee stronger, you can just gradually start using a little less coffee than they suggest. Each time, try it with a little less coffee and when you reach the amount of flavor you like, then use that amount. It will still be less, and will save you more money.
My dad also said he switched from using paper filters to a permanent filter. His last coffee pot and filter lasted him 8 years, so it definitely saved him lots of money! However, he said that he’s found that Walmart has the best prices for either paper filters or the permanent filter. He doesn’t shop online, so he doesn’t know how the prices compare to Amazon. You can see, my dad’s worked really hard to save money on coffee!
6. Buy gourmet coffee from the Teaman. The Teaman on Etsy sells the most delicious and affordable coffee! I compared his prices to the prices of the coffee you can buy at Sprouts and grind yourself. Well, the Teaman’s prices are just about the same, and he has tons more flavor choices available! You can read more about his Etsy shop on my post, The Most Flavorful and Inexpensive Tea I’ve Found. If you scroll down the post, I talk about Tim’s coffee, after I talk about his tea. Or, you could just go to his Etsy shop yourself and check it out.
After writing my post about the Teaman’s tea, he was generous enough to send me some of his decaf coffee to try out. I tried the hazelnut and the chocolate. They were both delicious! Now that I have to drink decaf, I never thought I’d be able to drink flavored coffee again! So, it’s nice that the Teaman makes so many different flavors of regular and decaf coffee at an affordable price.
7. Enter/host giveaways. Lots of people are always hosting giveaways on their blogs. Many of them are for coffee or Starbucks giftcards. If you follow me on Twitter or Pinterest, I post every one that I find. Sometimes I post them on my Facebook page too.
If you’re a blogger, you can host giveaways for coffee too. I often host giveaways for the Two Rivers Coffee Co. We usually get a box of about 40 k-cups of various coffee to review. Then, I also host a giveaway for others to win.
Giveaways, whether you win one or host one, are a great way to get coffee for free!
So, as you can see, no matter what kind of coffee you like to drink, there’s ways to save. No matter if you like Starbucks, k-cups, or coffee pots, you can save money on coffee!
If you enjoyed this post, please pin the image below or the one at the top of the post and share it with your followers. Thanks!
- Brooklyn Bean Roastery Black & White Cookie Coffee Review
- The Most Flavorful and Inexpensive Tea I’ve Found
- How to Save Money on Paper Towels and Napkins
Also, if you want a week’s worth of recipes for free, plus a grocery list to go with it, you can sign up below.